Dementia Day Breaks is a new service which commenced in June 2013 for people over 50 with a memory/cognitive impairment or a diagnosis of dementia.
The service, which is designed to be an extension to Guild Care's successful dementia services, ‘Time Out for Carers’, ‘Time Out Together’ and ‘Time Out & About’, will provide places for 15 adults twice weekly on Wednesdays from 9.30am - 3pm.
There will be a wide range of activities to support and stimulate customers which will include ~
- A friendly, comfortable and safe environment close to the centre of Worthing
- Centre based stimulating sensory activities and therapies
- External outings such as walks on the Downs, trips to garden centres or a pub lunch with support staff
- Hairdressing and assisted bathing facilities on site
- Therapeutic art and music activities
- The high level of centre based care will include a manager and 3 dementia trained support workers
- Live entertainment
Experienced staff will also use their extensive knowledge in cognitive therapies to enable people to maintain memory function for as long as possible.
Dementia Day Breaks will include transport to and from Linfield House, a two course lunch, all activities and outings, including hairdressing and assisted bathing for £65.00 per session.
Linfield House will welcome the opportunity to provide facilities for health and social care professionals to visit their patients for health checks and meetings at the centre. Physiotherapists will also have space in which to treat their customers.
The service is managed by our Day Services Manager Jacqui Swindells who can be contacted on 01903 528600.
‘It's been a lovely day today and I am going to go home now and think about how lovely it's been and what a fun time we have had.’
Vera on 25 September 2013
Your Care in Sussex: Dementia and End of Life Care Guidance an NHS leaflet for people with dementia, their relatives, carers and friends can be downloaded here.