1940s In 1943 the charity’s first residential home opened at 4 Church Walk, East Worthing, for ladies of reduced means. A Darby and Joan Club, one of the country’s first day centres for older people, was started and so successful that several followed in the next few years. Caer Gwent, the second residential home opened in 1947 for those on very low incomes who could not afford the high prices of hotels and boarding houses. Fundraising campaign launched to build a permanent old people’s centre providing activities through the day. A Night Sitter service to relieve carers from being on call 24 hours a day was established. Registered as an Adoption Society.