About us Our history 1950s A home was opened in 1953 at 14 Seldon Road. It was re-named Whitcomb House in memory of Mr Charles Whitcomb, a well-known local businessman who had originally donated the freehold of 4 Church Walk. 9 North Street was purchased (now Methold House). First old people’s day centre at Methold House was launched in 1958 and officially opened by TV personalities Wilfred and Mabel Pickles. This was the original Methold House. The current Methold House opened in 1975.